Plaque at 2384 Yonge St., southwest corner of Yonge and Montgomery Sts., Toronto
Rebel leader William Lyon Mackenzie headquartered his forces here prior to the planned march on Toronto during the Rebellion of 1837-38 in Upper Canada.
On 7 December 1837 following defeat of the rebels in the field just south of Eglinton, the tavern at this location was razed to the ground by order of Sir Francis Bond Head, then lieutenant-governor of Upper Canada. Lists of Mackenzie supporters were seized before the tavern was burned. Many of these were brought to trial, others executed or transported to the penal colony on Van Diemen’s Land (Tasmania). A Patriot banner was another of the trophies seized. It was on display during the 150th anniversary events in 1987 at Black Creek Pioneer Village.