Plaque, southeast corner of Yonge and John Streets, Thornhill
Joseph Milburn ran a tavern, built in 1829, just west of Yonge at John Street (formerly Milburn Road). The tavern was a meeting place for the rebels of 1837. For his sympathies Milburn, a Quaker, was banished to Van Diemen’s Land in Australia in 1837 until pardoned in 1843. The plaque at the corner, hidden by a nearby bush, carries other details about Benjamin Thorne and Brewers Hollow.