mounted on the Church of the Holy Trinity, East
St., just north of Queen St West, Toronto
striking memorial plaque to John Cook, stonemason, is
mounted next to the main doors of Holy Trinity Church. John Cook met
his death during reconstruction of the church in 1978. The stone
reflects the debt felt by the congregation to those who laboured to
preserve the church.
This historic church, built in 1846-47, almost met the
wreckers' hammer when corporate Bay Street launched encircling high
towers and began reconstruction of the Eaton Centre. The church had a
long tradition of progressive work in the area, hosting discussion
and action on world peace, environmental stability and other issues
and providing space for theatre productions. The church congregation
was joined by the community in vigorously opposing the plans for
demolition. Church reconstruction was made possible by compensation
won during the battle for its preservation.