Plaque and museum, 5172 Yonge St., Toronto, behind the Willowdale post office.
David Gibson (1804-1864), a land surveyor who started his apprenticeship in the trade in Scotland at 15 years of age, completed this house in 1851. His previous home had been burned to the ground by order of Lieutenant-Governor Sir Francis Bond Head because of Gibson’s support of the 1837 Rebellion. He had been twice elected to the colonial assembly as a Reform member, but fled to the United States in 1837. His name appears on the proclamation of the provisional government on Navy Island of that year. He returned to Canada in 1848, following a full pardon.