THE BISHOP’S PALACE 

Plaque, Northwest corner of University Ave. and Front St.W., Toronto

The residence of Bishop John Strachan (1778-1867) was located here. In 1837 the grounds at the Bishop’s Palace were a rallying point for members of the Family Compact along with British forces headed by Lieutenant-Governor Sir Francis Bond Head to march on Montgomery’s Tavern, north of Eglinton Avenue, where rebels were assembling to march on the city of Toronto.

Strachan was an unabashed enemy of reform, protecting the vast tracts of land owned by the Anglican Church against expropriation for the purpose of distribution to the settler-farmers. He was a violent opponent to changes in the Legislative Council and Assembly that would make them more accountable to the people. He was also a bitter foe of William Lyon Mackenzie, leader of the Reform members in the Assembly.